Power Level Studios
In Development: Expected Q4 2018
PC, Mac, PS4, Nintendo Switch
Press / Business Contact:
Soul Reaper is a retro rogue-lite RPG with top-down exploration, turn-based combat, monster-catching mechanics, deep loot and skill systems, and a twisted sense of humour.
Take control of the one and only Soul Reaper, a power-hungry skeleton whose thirst for souls leads him to a mysterious cave called The Vault, where there are more than enough souls to go around. But getting those souls may not be so easy when they belong to wasps with a gatling gun. Or sharks that breathe fire. Or knife-wielding squirrels...? It's a fitting place for a talking skeleton with a bone to pick.
Some games that Soul Reaper might remind you of are:
- Castlevania: Aria/Dawn of Sorrow (Kill monsters, get souls!)
- Diablo (Loot with more stats than you can shake a '+50% stick-shaking' stick at)
- The Legend of Zelda (Top-down navigation style complete with bush-whacking action)
- Final Fantasy (Side view turn-based combat)
- Lufia II (This one might escape some youngsters, but if you remember "the Ancient Cave", you know what you're in for!)
- Pokemon (Once you're hooked on soul-collecting, you'll wanna reap 'em all)
- Rogue-lite gameplay means you'll be kicked out of The Vault when you die, but you can still hang on to your Soul Gems and gear for the next round!
- Explore the ever-changing environment from a familiar retro top-down viewpoint. Push rocks, bush-whack innocent shrubs, and weave past crazy monsters ready to chase you down for a fight.
- Turn-based classic RPG style combat. You hit me, I hit you, you hit me, I reap your soul. That sort of thing!
- Collect every soul The Vault has to offer and explore all of the hidden powers within their Soul Gems.
- Find treasure chests full of loot and gear with tons of useful (or bizarre) stat boosts. Wanna pair gloves that make you run faster with shoes that make you punch harder? Then open up those chests and start accessorizing!
Soul Reaper started out as an idea for a classic RPG mobile game, but was put on hold in favor of working on simpler titles with a smaller scope. With those 'warm-up' titles out of the way, it came time to pull Soul Reaper off the shelf and put our all into developing it. With the help of the OMDC Interactive Digital Media Fund, we were able to hire and collaborate with several talented artists to make Soul Reaper into a robust and exciting prototype, which will soon look to further rounds of OMDC funding and crowdfunding to reach its full potential as a title developed for release on PC, Mac, PS4, and Nintendo Switch.
About Power Level Studios
Power Level Studios is a Toronto-based game studio with a small roster of passionate creatives. Our name means we always want our work to show the strength of our collective power level.
You can find more information about Power Level Studios, including our logo and other relevant media here.
VideosSquare Enix Collective Trailer
There are plenty more images where these came from, so if you have any specific requests, please feel free to get in touch!
Logo & Icon
Team & Repeating Collaborators
Founder, Game Designer, Programmer, Marketing, Chef (https://ca.linkedin.com/in/dannyforest)
Animator, Artist (https://www.linkedin.com/in/emjaykidd/)